What a great day! We really appreciate those days in our lives that make us feel good inside...today was one of those days.
It was solo and ensemble day at Muncie Southside. Mya played a division 1 piece on french horn and earned a gold rating (and medal) which will allow her to go to 'State' and play the same piece again.
John had one lesson with her late last week - it was kind of tense in the house after the lesson but it seems like it was well worth the angst. He has such a hard time sugar coating anything and she is the ice queen - so, they spent about 45 minutes working things out, she played it all, and then went in her room and broke down - poor thing! :( I'm sure it really stinks having a perfectionist, ex-band director for a dad! But, she played the heck out of that piece this weekend! And, her Dad...who knows what his daughter is capable of - was very proud as he left that performance room. Her mom has such an issue with nerves that she has to listen from the hall (I know...loser!).
And Jackson...Jackson played this weekend also - a division one quad piece (he's a guitar playing, trombone player) - bless his heart! He earned a bronze medal - but, showed such perseverance and honor that we couldn't be prouder of him. He knew that he did not put the time in the piece necessary to do it justice - he couldn't play the rest of the piece after the 21st measure. But, even after his band director suggested that he 'scratch', he wanted to go in and play it for the judge (and the audience) because he had 'signed on' to do it. Needless to say, I couldn't go in and watch/listen to his performance either. He held his head high, respected the event/the process, and showed such honor. I went to the table and picked up his medal...
We enjoyed a lunch date with Mya after her morning performance and a shopping spree with Jackson after his afternoon performance...I was finally able to buy him some new shoes (two pairs)! :)
Quick side note...I am so thankful our children have one parent that can go in and watch/listen to them perform - thanks, John! Between the fear of getting the giggles and the difficulty in watching them struggle...I just can't do it! They are both braver than I could ever be!


No comments:
Post a Comment