On Tuesday last week, he went to Indy to take the ASBAV test - a very important test that will help determine what job he is most suited for in the Army. He was feeling a ton of pressure because he knew he needed to get a score of 70 to do the type of job he wants in the Army. I received a call from Staff Sargeant Warrell before Jackson made it home that afternoon, stating that Jackson received a 74 - the average American scores a 50!! He also said that Jackson has the qualifications to do any job in the Army that he wants - so proud! On Thursday, John and I met with the recruiter in Muncie to sign parental consent for Jackson to join the Army (he's still only 17 years old). And although it was emotional (I didn't cry in front of the recruiter, though!) and scary and concerning, I am comforted by my faith...in my son who has an amazingly, beautiful life force and a strong sense of who he is and what he wants and the passion and drive to make it happen for him on his terms. As a parent, I can't ask for anything more from him.
So the next step happens Tuesday. Jackson will be traveling down to Indy on Monday at noon to go through a battery of physical and health tests. If all runs smoothly, he will be sworn in to the US Army on Tuesday afternoon as a future soldier in the delayed entry program. Before he signs, he will receive a contract that will tell him exactly what the Army is offering (we get to look it over also) and his ship date for basic training (most likely two weeks after graduation). He is looking to be an infantry-man with the hopes of furthering his training with the Rangers. John and I will be there - with cameras and the biggest smiles on our faces (and tears in our eyes); so proud of our son! And ultimately so thankful for direction in his life.
Great job on the test, Jackson. The Army will be lucky to have you! :) Thinking of you all and waiting for the big haircut reveal! :)
ReplyDelete